The SOURCE The Holy Wells Journal- New Series Contents
The second series of SOURCE ran from 1994 to 1995 with a hiatus between 1995 and 1998 following the sad death of its co-editor Roy Fry. It was edited by him and Tristan Gray-Hulse, who has contributed a considerable amount to the study of the subject, Christian phenomena such as the Turin Shroud and hagiography. The last two volumes were edited by Heather Hughes and Peter Read but it soon folded.
The new series was more academically focused then the original one and had some excellent articles from the leading authors in the field.
The contents of each issue, transcribed by Richard Penderick, is included below with the links. The copyright for the articles belongs to the original contributor and not to me. The design also Richard Penderick. You will notice that there are a number of articles not transcribed online my long-term aim is to contact these authors and transcribe them so the complete SOURCE archive will be available. Enjoy!
Issue 1 (Autumn 1994)
- Living with a Holy Well – Janet & Colin Bord.
- The Religous Symbolism of Llyn Cerrig Bach & Other Early Sacred Water Sites – Dr Miranda Green.
- The Well as Symbol (part one) – Roy Fry & Tristan Gray Hulse.
- Holy Wells in Wales & Early Christian Archaeology – Dr Nancy Edwards.
- Holywell, Clwyd – Roy Fry & Tristan Gray Hulse.
- The Holywell Cure Records – Roy Fry & Tristan Gray Hulse.
- The Other St Winifred’s Wells – Roy Fry & Tristan Gray Hulse.
- The Whistlebitch Well, Utkinton, Cheshire – Roy Fry & Tristan Gray Hulse.
- The Holy Well of Frome, Somerset – James Rattue.
- The Land of Holy Wells (part one) – Tristan Gray Hulse.
Issue 2 (Winter 1994)
- Holy Wells of Camborne – Professor Charles Thomas.
- Rebecca’s Well on Crazies Hill – Michael Bayley.
- The Divine Juggler of Doulting – Caroline Sherwood.
- Court Well, Thame, Oxfordshire – Lesley Park & Alan Cleaver.
- Llandeilo Llwydiarth: The Well & the Skull – Kemmis Buckley.
- St Teilo & the Head Cult – Tristan Gray Hulse.
- Some Ancient Wells, Springs & Holy Wells of the Cotswolds – Laurence Hunt.
- The Springs & Wells of the South Downs (part one) – Bruce Osborne.
- Streams of Living Water – Protopresbyter Alban Barter.
- Wells at the Bottom of the Garden – James Rattue.
- The Land of Holy Wells (part two) – Tristan Gray Hulse.
- Ffynnon Santes Fair (St Mary’s Well) – Ken Davies.
- Hollinshead Hall Holy Well – John Crawshaw.
Issue 3 (Spring 1995)
- Will the Real St Brigid Please Stand Up? – Editorial.
- The Search for Bride’s Well – Cheryl Straffon & Caeia March.
- The Ladywell at Speen – Michael Bayley.
- Some Holy Wells of South Carmarthenshire – Kemmis Buckley.
- A Glimpse of Holy Wells in Belgian Villages – Karl Petit.
- The Wells of East Coker – Abigail Shepherd.
- The Springs and Wells of the South Downs (part two) – Bruce Osborne.
- Well Walk in Bradford – Val Shepherd.
- From Celtic Gods to Smugglers’ Rum – Paul Dewer.
- Gumfreston Wells – Gina Silverman.
- The Land of Holy Wells (part three) – Tristan Gray Hulse.
- The Holy Well in the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham – Fr Martin Warner.
Issue 4 (Summer 1995)
- Wells & Trees – Val Shepherd.
- Cursing Not Curing: The Darker Side of Holy Wells – Janet Bord.
- The Wells of St Swithun – James Rattue.
- The Three Wells Walk – Cheryl Straffon.
- Pilgrims’ Ampullae & the Well of St Menas (part one) – Roy Fry & Tristan Gray Hulse.
- The Source: Bristol Springs & Wells Group – Annie Wildwood.
- The Minster Wells: An Archaeological Evaluation of the Holy Wells of Minster Abbey, Isle of Sheppey, Kent – Brian Slade.
- Some Observations on the Earliest Spring Called After Robin Hood – R. W. Morrell.
- The Sacred Springs & Holy Wells of the St Davids Peninsula (part one) – Julie Trier.
- Ffynnon Fair, Llanfair-is-Gaer & Ffynnon Ddeiniol, Bangor, Gwynedd – Howard Huws.
Issue 5 (Spring 1998)
- Severed Heads & Sacred Waters – Anne Ross (illus. R.W. Feachem).
- St Arilda of Oldbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire – Jane Bradshaw.
- St Arild’s Hymn – Tristan Gray Hulse & Wendy Maddox.
- Yorkshire’s Holy Wells & the Severed Head – Edna Whelan.
- Holy Wells & Headless Saints – James Rattue.
- At St Winifred’s Well – Roy Kerridge (illus. Paul Longmore).
- Alexandra’s Well – Tristan Gray Hulse.
- The Sacred Springs & Holy Wells of the St Davids Peninsula (part two) – Julie Trier.
Issue 6 (Summer 1998)
- Robin Hood’s Well, Near Helmshore – John Crawshaw.
- Three Saints, Two Wells & a Welsh Parish – Tristan Gray Hulse.
- Peg O’ Nell’s Well, Clitheroe, Lancashire – Carole L. Nelson.
- The Holy Wells of Holywell, Oxford (part one): The Well of Saints Winifred & Margaret – David Stone.
- St Blaise’s Well, Bromley, Kent – Barrie Williams.
- Seven Wiltshire Wells & Their Folklore – Katharine M. Jordan.
- St Rumbold & His Well – Major Kemmis Buckley.
- On Canvey Island – Roy Kerridge.
- New Wells For Old? – Tristan Gray Hulse.
- The Springs & Wells of the South Downs (part three) – Bruce Osborne.